Friday 30 March 2012

Getting out more

Last Saturday I headed up Ben Vorlich at Lochearn with Alison. Felt relatively fit on the walk up considering the long lay off. It was claggy most of the way up but the cloud began to break near the summit and we had some amazing views above the cloud. We then started to run back down, after a while though Alison disappeared into the distance as I struggled and ultimately failed to keep up!

On the summit of Ben Vorlich

On the Sunday I travelled North to meet up with Dave. I've been lucky enough to be awarded a grant from the MC of S for my E8 attempt and towards training and travel for the Para World Cup and some of it is going towards coaching. on the Monday we headed up to Glen Torridon and straight onto E8 routes, it was brutal as I have very little climbing strength at the moment. Dave wasted no time pointing out weaknesses and ways to improve my game. I spent most of the day on the lower part of the route, I am going to have to give everything I have to even dream of climbing at this level. After that I seconded an E1 then an E3 which utterly knackered me!

Trying the E8 in Glen Torridon

I spent a while early in my career trying to clip with my left hand but never figured it out so I've never bothered, Dave figured it out in about 10 minutes. It started quite awkward but in no time we had simplified it. It will save huge amounts of time and strength on routes once I figure it out properly.

Francis and Blair at the crag, they ticked off plenty routes while I tried the E8

The following day we headed up Glen Nevis to Whale Rock and onto another E8, making progress on a route I never have before but also seeing just how truly weak I am at the minute physically and mentally. It was however a bonus that Dave and I managed a day in the Glen without me hitting the deck, result. It was great to get into the hills as much again, really psyched about the move back North again soon!

Sunset in the Highlands, need I say more.............

No comments:

Post a Comment